Saturday 17 January 2015

Messi out of the spotlight as Ronaldo wins third Ballon d’Or

ZURICH: The Portuguese and Real Madrid superstar Cristiano Ronaldo wins his third and second consecutive Ballon d’Or on Monday at the FIFA ceremony in Zurich to steal the spotlight from his Argentinian and Barcelona rival Lionel Messi.
The 29 year-old forward Ronaldo who played a key role in Real Madrid’s 10th UEFA Champions League win beat Messi and Germany’s World Cup winning goalkeeper Manuel Neuer. Ronaldo was the star of evening as his club-mate James Rodriguez won the goal of the year and Germany’s World Cup winning coach Joachim Loew won the award for coach of the year.
After winning third Ballon d’Or of his career, Ronaldo said, ‘I never thought I would win this trophy on three occasions, I want to be one of the greatest players of all time and of course this requires a lot of effort.’
Portugal skipper Ronaldo also thanked his family for their support, ‘I would like to thank my mother, to my father, who is in heaven and who is looking down on me, to my family. It has been an unforgettable year and to win a trophy of this importance is unimaginable.’
Ronaldo won his first Ballon d’Or in 2008 and then in 2013, He also tweeted from his Twitter account, ‘2014 was full of incredible moments. Thank you all!’ Then he posted on his Facebook official page, ‘It’s an unforgettable moment in my life to win the Ballon d’Or for the third time! I feel extremely happy and proud to receive this award and I want to keep challenging myself everyday. I have to thank my family, all the people who support me and also to my colleagues of Real Madrid and Portuguese National team that make me a better player every day.’

No comments:

Post a Comment